Saturday, June 20, 2009

FIXING HEALTHCARE IN THE U.S. OF A.

There has been lots of discussion going on about fixing healthcare for some time. We have heard several proposals and suggestions for solving the healthcare puzzle. I prefer to narrow down the discussion into two categories; those for the government approach and those in favor of the free market or private approach to solving this puzzle. watch this
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/video/flv/generic.html?s=frol02p101&continuous=1
This is the most interesting documentary I have watched so far giving as some idea about the healthcare system in other developed economies. This is certainly not a documentary telling the absolute truth about the single payer health system in other countries. It's complicated than most documentaries make it seem. The Obama administration is currently proposing coverage for everyone under his healthcare plan and I think this is an ineffective approach to dealing with the issue. I will prefer the government to consider covering those who actually have no means of affording healthcare to be provided free coverage. People who earn a very low income should also be provided a reasonable premium under the government plan. Having said this the government must stay out of the free market and allow those who have the means to afford private health insurance to do so at their own expense without attempts by the government to reduce copays for almost everyone as the Obama administration is suggesting. The government should have its own negotiations with health institutions but not on behalf of all citizens. I think the free market should work out the pricing of healthcare with its customers. This in my opinion is fair since the government will be treated as a regular customer by the healthcare providing agencies rather than the government being the only decider of how healthcare is priced and provided. Lets hear your opinion on this issue. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment